Saturday 16 January 2016

An afternoon on the patch



After an early start for swimming and then straight on to music centre I only had the afternoon left to get any birding done. Dad and I decided to head to the Hunmanby gap (patch) to see if we could get any birds for PWC2015 (patchwork challenge 2016). At first it seemed as if no birds were present and we were only seeing the occasional Herring gull. Then, quite along way out at sea, I picked up a very large bird and I was quite puzzled. It came closer and turned out to be a Grey Heron, the first patch tick today. I then saw two auks flying towards us in the swell which we think were Razorbills but they were lost in the swell. Close in we saw two Razorbills, likely what was flying towards us, another patch (and year) tick. My dad then saw something very small swim just off the surf, a Great Crested Grebe swam past giving us some perspective on how small it was. I took a look and saw that it was black and white with a very small bill, it was a Little Auk. Not only was this a patch and year tick but it was also my first lifer of the year, and a very good one!

Robin on the patch

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaagh, gripped on our own patch! Went down with Keith later but the light was poor by then and no sign. Well done Will, keep finding those good birds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlucky, the Great black-backed gulls did look quite menacing!

      Delete