Saturday 9 April 2016

Patch Update

Summer has really started to show. For example I added Sand martin and Kittiwake on the 2nd April at Hunmanby Gap, as well as these there were 4 Chiffchaffs
Chiffchaff
Then on the 3rd I added another two birds, Sandwich tern. It flew gracefully north through the bay. Further out I then spotted a Fulmar, lots of them were moving as we were just a little way from Bempton Cliffs. Also present were 8 Chiffchaffs.
(Record shot) Sandwich tern
Song thrush
The next tick was on the 6th in Hunmanby, a Swallow. Unbelievably in the small area where I was birding there were at least 10 Chiffchaffs and a Tree sparrow.
(Distant) Swallow
The next tick was on the 7th at Hunmanby Gap, an early House martin. Before that I was with a local birder watching some visible migration (mostly Meadow pipits and Linnets). He told me that I had missed an Egyptian goose by minutes! Also present were 6 Chiffchaffs, 7 Shags, a Blackcap, 8 Sand martins and a swallow
1 of 3 Roe deer also present
Later that day there was also a Blackcap, 2 Swallows and 3 Chiffchaffs in Hunmanby.
Blackcap
Today (the 9th) was a very productive and we managed two ticks. Before we got to Hunmanby Gap we saw 6 Buzzards displaying. Acting on knowledge given to me by a local birder we walked down Gap lane at the Gap and saw a Black Redstart. We then went on to see a Yellowhammer and 2 Sandwich terns. The second tick was two Wheatears in the fields.
Black Redstart
Wheatear

Buzzards


Pied Wagtail


 

No comments:

Post a Comment