Monday 2 May 2016

April Patchwork challenge roundup

April was quite a good month as I managed to add a lot of species and consequently I finished on 100 points.
Over the course of the month I added 17 species and 22 points. On the 2nd April I added Sand martin and Kittiwake at Hunmanby Gap.
Distant Sand martin
The next birds were on the next day (3rd) with Fulmar and Sandwich tern, again at the Gap.
Sandwich tern
After that two mornings at the Gap produced Swallow and House martin.
Pied wagtail 
The 9th April added two great species on passage, Black redstart and Wheatear, both being at Hunmanby Gap.
Black redstart

Vismigging (watching for visible migration) at the Gap on the morning of the 10th two species were added. A Siskin (northbound) and 121 Pink-footed geese (also northbound).
Some of the Pink-footed geese
After that I finally managed to add two birds in Hunmanby itself (inland) with a Willow warbler on the 12th and a Peregrine on the 14th.
Peregrine
Additions on the 17th and 18th were again both in Hunmanby with Yellow wagtail (17th) and Lesser Whitethroat (18th).
Yellow wagtail
Lesser whitethroat
On the 24th the Gap produced a Whitethroat, keeping the record that every time I've visited the Gap this year I have added a bird to PWC. 
The next addition was at a part of the patch running into Hunmanby Gap at 'the Bay' where I heard a Cuckoo. The final new bird of April was on the 24th with a Snipe that was put down by a storm in a field in Hunmanby.




No comments:

Post a Comment