Friday 15 July 2016

A great day of patching and volunteering

I got up at 0530 grabbed my scooter and headed to Hunmanby Gap for some vismigging/seawatching with local birders Keith Clarkson and Nick Carter. I (finally) added Mistle thrush to PWC (patch work challenge) and also added two Knot which flew south. There were also lots of birds that I had already had that year. Best were - 21 Common Scoter north, 1 Red-throated diver south, 6 Manx Shearwaters north, 9 Whimbrel north with one south, a Dunlin south, 3 Yellow wagtails south and a Grey Wagtail south. These two additions left me on 126 points with 105 species.

I then went on for a day of volunteering at RSPB Bempton Cliffs. The day went off to a good start with a Whimbrel north, a singing Corn bunting and 20 Common Scoter south and 30 north. Then I went back out onto a viewpoint after lunch. I stationed myself on Grandstand. I got a radio from another viewpoint guide on Staple Newk (the farthest south viewpoint) and she said there was a Great skua heading my way. Then, close in hassling the Kittiwakes, there it was. It flew quickly north and a handful of lucky people saw it. Then some time later it flew south, I sent the message out and surely enough Staple saw it. It was watched drifting (whilst sat on the water off Staple) out to sea where it disappeared. I didn't manage to connect with a Quail on the reserve but definitely a great day nonetheless!

Knot (one of two)
Whimbrel 
Great Skua
Great Skua 
Puffins

No comments:

Post a Comment