Wednesday 13 July 2016

Quick twitch at Flamborough

I had just finished a fairly average day volunteering at RSPB Bempton Cliffs. I started heading home. On the access road I pulled over to check my phone (there is no signal at the visitor centre), and I'm really glad I checked it. My dad (who is currently running a field trip on the west coast of Scotland) sent me a text that said Pectoral Sand Thornwick pools. I wondered if he was winding me up, I checked birdguides and sure enough, there was a Pectoral sandpiper on Thornwick Pools (Flamborough). I hopped on my scooter and 'raced' for the great white cape. Once at Thornwick I got up to the hide. Some local birders pointed me in the right direction and it was walking around with two Dunlin. However it was really distant and hard to see. They then took flight. I feared this might have been the only view I was going to get. However we watched them circle and they landed on the lower pool near the other hide. We rushed down and I managed to some pictures before it flew back up to the top pool. This was a great little lifer and not what I had expected to see.

All the pictures below are of the Pectoral Sandpiper 




With a Dunlin

No comments:

Post a Comment