Sunday 7 February 2016

Afternoon on Filey Brigg

Today I went to Filey Brigg to try and see the Surf Scoter that had been there for about 8 weeks! After missing the American wigeon a few days ago in Scarborough I was determined to see this rare duck. My dad was ill and I was lucky to get him to take me out in the first place. I watched from the carpark and saw a Long-tailed duck, I knew there was one present but I didn't expect to see it. After a while of searching I hadn't seen the Surf scoter. As my dad was ill he said I could walk along to the steps down the south side of the Brigg (where there were already some other birders). There I got great views of the Long-tailed duck and a Great-northern diver. I asked one of the birders if they had seen the Surf scoter, they pointed me in the right direction and there it was! This was my third Surf scoter, the others being in the same place in previous years. Further down I have also included a small update from the patch.

Long-tailed duck

Surf scoter
Great-northern diver
 I also went to the fields within my patch earlier that morning, and got two new ticks as a Reed bunting and some Meadow pipits, as well as great views of a Grey wagtail.
Grey wagtail
Reed bunting 

Meadow pipit

No comments:

Post a Comment