Monday 1 February 2016

Patchwork Challenge 2016 January roundup


This is an overview of my first month of PWC2016, all photographs are of the birds mentioned taken on the patch, however some have a date stamp and some do not.

On the 1st of January I saw 19 species, the only surprise being a female Blackcap in the garden. All of the birds on the 1st were seen around the house: House sparrow, Greylag goose, Canada goose, Great-black backed gull, Herring gull, Black-headed gull, Stock dove, Woodpigeon,  Collared dove, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion crow, Great tit, Coal tit, Starling, Goldfinch, Blackbird, Dunnock and Blackcap.

On the 2nd I walked down a short stretch of road (surrounded by trees and fields) and saw some more  new birds: Sparrowhawk, Chiffchaff, Chaffinch, Goldcrest, Long-tailed tit and Bullfinch.
Chiffchaff
Later that day (2nd) dad and I went to the coastal section of my patch, Hunmanby gap. There we got my first 'two-pointer,' a Shag. We also saw some other new birds: Sanderling, Kestrel, Stonechat, Linnet, Goldfinch, Robin, Common gull, Moorhen, and Mallard.

Stonechat
It wasn't until the 9th until I got my next patch ticks in the form of a Grey wagtail and a Yellowhammer.
Grey wagtail
On the 10th dad and I went to Hunmanby gap, we got some great new additions: Little gull, Great-northern diver, Black-throated diver, Red-throated diver, Gannet, Oystercatcher, Pheasant, (rock)/Feral pigeon and Cormorant. The Little gulls moved south in a steady passage and the divers were great to watch.
Record shot of a passing Little gull
The next additions after the 10th were not until the 16th, because of school. However we did see what was undoubtedly the highlight of the month, a Little auk. This was not just a patch tick but also a lifer for me! The 16th added: Little auk, Razorbill, Great-crested grebe and Grey heron.

After this the only additions were on the 23rd and 24th. Fieldfare on the 23rd and Redwing on the 24th.

In the end I finished with 52 species and 60 points, I do not know whether this is good or bad for my patch as this is my first year taking part in PWC2016. However one thing I am sure of is that I am looking forwards to the year ahead of me. 





No comments:

Post a Comment